Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Problem Solving

I really want my kids to grow up to be problem solvers, not problem finders.

I really want them to come to me and say "can you help me do this" instead of "this is a problem".  This attitude is probably a carry over from when I worked for Rodney at the Medicine Shoppe.  His policy was, never tell a customer, "I don't know".  Instead we were to say, "let me find out for you."  In doing this we
were open to figuring out the problem instead of relying on someone else to solve it.

My kids are smart.  It doesn't show sometimes, but I know it's in there.  I want them to use their own brains instead of relying on mine.  If the solution to the problem is getting my assistance, that is fine....I just want them to come up with the solution instead of telling me the problem and hoping I can figure it out (or worse yet just standing there hoping that I can read their minds when I don't even know the problem exists!)

I think maybe it might be working....Yesterday, Noah brings me a half open can and says "this can has a hard spot right here." 
"Are you asking me something or telling me something," I asked? 
"Telling you...." 
So I commented "Yeah, some cans have a hard spot."
I got a blank look.  So I added, "Sometimes it's hard to get the can opener all the way around."
Still a blank look.  I waited.  He says again "but it's hard!"
So I asked "oh no, what are you going to do?'
He walked back into the kitchen, so I felt sorry for him, so I called after him, "I kind of thought that you could ask me to help you open it."
Then he caught on and asked me to help with the can opener.

Fast forward to this morning.  Same kid different can.
"This peanut butter is hard to open!"
"Are you asking me something, or telling me?"
"Can you help me open this?"

What a good problem solver.....but I anticipate the first conversation occurring again!

And maybe some day they won't need my brain at all to figure things out.....
 

1 comment:

  1. I learned early on when Justin was little to ask the question "what was your favorite part of the day?" instead of "how was your day". I still do that with adults. I love to ask my boss when he gets back from vacation, "so, what was your most favorite part of your trip?"

    It's a big job forming little minds but so much fun to see their little wheels spinning!

    ReplyDelete