Sunday, December 12, 2010

The rest of the Elk

Finally, Friday night we got the rest of the elk packaged.  About 150 pounds all together.  Cut up the last leg on Friday morning and then Tom took the scraps to be ground into hamburger (is it still called hamburger if it's not beef?  Or should I just call it ground elk?)

What do you call a cow that's missing it's two front legs?
Lean Ground Beef!
HaHaHa....sorry I got sidetracked.  We can do these jokes forever around here....even though we all know the answers to them!

Anyway, he came back with 88 pounds of ground elk.....or elk burger.....elk hamburger????
We set up an assembly line of wrapping.

Tom cut the paper (and ran up to the store twice for more), Jared weighed out one pound piles and pressed them into a rectangle container to make bricks and I wrapped.  Then whoever was free, labeled and stuck them in the freezer.

During this process, I had to remind Jared a time or two that the burger bricks needed to be somewhat level so the packages stacked nicely.  He was worried about it being a race and trying to keep me from catching up.  I told him that he had to do it my way because I was the wrapping boss.  Then I asked him what he would do if he was the boss (great conversations happen when you are working at mindless jobs!).  His first thought was that he would remove the time limits on video game playing (30 minutes per day is our rule).  Then he thought for a minute and decided that he had a better thing to do as boss......he would like to change football to be a year round sport.  Then he could play all the time and get really good to make it to the pro's!  Guess his life must be pretty good if those are the only things he can think of to change!

We cooked up some elk stew for dinner on Friday night and then elk steaks for dinner tonight.....mmmmm.....and still over 100 pounds left to enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Tell Jared I would ban all high heels from existence if I made the rules.

    Sounds like you got everyone involved ~ how much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little envious of your elk meat! I keep trying to get my husband to hunt elk instead of nasty tasting wild duck! Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete