Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day of School 2010

Some people have a "phone" voice.  I have a "teacher" voice.  Apparently, when I am trying to get a point across, my voice goes into lecture mode.  I don't do it intentionally, but it sneaks up on me, and I catch myself talking in a voice that isn't my own.  Today Cody said "Mom! You're talking really loud!"  And I was.  I guess "teacher" voice is louder than "mom" voice.

We started out our day with a hymn.  I want my kids to have at least some knowledge of the old hymns, and since we don't sing them at church, we are learning them at home.  I can see you cringing at the thought of me leading anyone in song, but lucky for me, at least none of the boys can tell the difference.  Faith on the other hand can tell that I'm off key.  She can sing quite well, but has to sing with the boys and I who really can't.  Jared picked the hymn for today "Christ the Lord is Risen Today".  The kids like the Alleluia parts of it.  I really think it's sad that hymns aren't sung much anymore.  Most have such meaningful words that really make you think.  We sing all the verses.  None of the 1, 2 and 4 stuff that I grew up with!

For our "together stuff" we got ourselves organized and talked about what we would be studying this year.  I plan on adding a little more actual work each day until we have our full schedule going.  Everyone got their assigned work done today, so I deem it as a successful day.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! I agree...the old Hymns are so meaningful. I love when they through one in. They truly tug at your heart!

    ReplyDelete